Lights on radio/cd player/clock work only intermittently

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Lights on radio/cd player/clock work only intermittently

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jhwang799 7 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Wingit49

We just purchased a 2000 Quest with 123,000 miles and have found that the lights on the radio/cd/clock will not always be on when the radio is turned on and the clock, which is supposed to be on all the time only goes on occasionally. Once on the clock will not go off until the ignition switch is turned off. Is there a simple repair? If so, what is it? Thank you.

klricks
    Participant

This is a very common problem with this and other Nissan/Ford radios. Google and you will see. There is even a web site that you can pay some $ and they will tell you how to fix it. Or you can send it in and have them fix it.

If seams that the solder connections on the circuits inside the radio do not hold up to the heat and vibrations.
    I fixed myself by gleaming enough info from the above sites to know where to look. I disassembled the radio and re-soldered components on the power supply circuit board. Has worked fine for several months now after being intermittent and then totally blank for years.

Also I just had the AC/heater control box replaced (Sits just under the radio). I suspect the same kinds of issues.

A few years ago I had to fix the VCP. The little sensor that sticks up into the video tape cartridge had a fractured solder joint.

Kevin

jhwang799
    Participant

Its your power supply for the radio. Happened to me and tons of ppl with FORD, Lincon, Mercury and NIssan Radios. Power supply will over heat and due to crappy design the heat will transfer on to the board and to the solder. i went and got me a resoldered PSU from fixmyradio.com or something.. Used save my insanity. Worked

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.