my 1st post-just bought a 98 quest with some issues-may i ask for some help?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest my 1st post-just bought a 98 quest with some issues-may i ask for some help?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mutoy 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mutoy
    Participant

Hi, I’ve tried reading on most threads in this forum.. most have answered my queries while some may have confused me more.

Here’s the situation. Just bought a 98 quest, 116000miles, but has been sparingly used if not at all in the last year. Its running well except for some issues:

1. timing belt hasn’t been replaced
    2. CEL is on (checked it with a universal OBDII reader at advanceauto showing P0325, and P1041)
    3. coolant has sludge
    4. whining/humming noise in the middle of the car

I work on my cars (mostly mechanical) but when it comes to sensors, I’m not so confident. The help I need is more towards solving the CEL light. I am wondering if P0325 is really the knock sensor(since some threads say its the O2 sensor) and if so, would it be related to not having used the car so long and also the timing belt needs rplacement? If its the knock sensor, I read that it shoudn’t turn the CEL light on. So what do I do?

Code P1041 is the EGR temp sensor, this probably tripped my CEL light. My question is that would this be related to the poor coolant it has? Do you guys think by using hight octane gas would help? I was just thinking since the EGR involves emissions then maybe better gas means better efficiency in combustion and lower gases ha ha ha…

As for the humming noise, I thought I read that its pretty much usual on a quest. Some say aftermarket fuel pumps really make noise… I have to check what I have but if ever, should I replace this already without any symptoms?

My plan:

timing belt change with cooling system flush then re-check CEL
    inspect fuel pump?

thanks for your thoughts

ciera87
    Participant

My 97′ van has exactly the same error codes.

I have no idea about P0325 engine knock sensor error. But the EGR failure seem to be a well known problem due to a defective BPT hose.

Check out Steve Cutchen’s Villager/Quest FAQ site. I have followed the instruction and replaced the BPT hose. My local Nissan dealer charged me $10 for the hose.

After the hose replacemnet, the CEL has been gone for two days. Stay tune.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vqfaq/

Excerpt from the Check engine light topic:

“…Here’s a diagram of EGR system for a 95 Quest. This shows the BPT hose (Arrow points to it) that burns and opens up.

I got this printout from the dealer, since I did not know where it was either. My 95 Quest Check engine light was intermittantly on during freeway driving, Yes this hose was burnt in two pieces. After replacement, no more check engine light. “

ciera87
    Participant

I can’t find the complete TSB. Here is the summary:

Make : NISSAN Model : QUEST Year : 1997
    Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Service Bulletin Number : NTB01033A Date of Bulletin : OCT 03, 2001
    NHTSA Item Number : 625510
    Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM:INJECTORS

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    NISSAN / QUEST 1997-2000

Service Bulletin Number : NTB01033A
    NHTSA Item Number : 625510
    Summary Description :
    SERVICE BULLETINF OR FOR FUEL INJECTOR CLEANING FOR VEHICLES WITH ROUGH IDLE, HESITATION OR MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0300 – P0306 STORED. *TT

Service Bulletins Summary

Make : NISSAN Model : QUEST Year : 1997
    Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Service Bulletin Number : NTB98011 Date of Bulletin : JUN 15, 1998
    NHTSA Item Number : 601729
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    NISSAN / QUEST 1993-1998

Service Bulletin Number : NTB98011
    NHTSA Item Number : 601729
    Summary Description :
    SOME VEHICLES HAS AN EGR MALFUNCTION DUE TO CRACKED BPT VALVE BOTTOM HOSE. *YC

mutoy
    Participant

thanks for the info. i actually had a ex-nissan mechanic take a look at it. was charging me 100$ for parts and labor… then i thought hmm.. sounds like an easy job since he ain’t charging me too much. i’ve downloaded the service manual and figured i can do it. since the parts only 10$, worth a try!

mutoy
    Participant

thank you. will also update you guys once i’m done with my DIY on this. very helpful 🙂

mutoy
    Participant

got a chance to fix the issue with my CEL light. thanks to Steve’s website (and to you guys for showing the link) and i was able to DIY my BPT hose without any issues. it took me longer than 5 mins(as opposed to what they posted) but heck, i saved myself 100$ today!! the haynes manual suggested removal of the intake for better access but i just did how the guys did it on the website instead.

the BPT hose was so frayed, it literally broke into 2 pieces as i touched it initially. i just went to a parts store and got a 7/32 vacuum hose of about 3-4in and the guys there gave it to me FREE! just a thought though.. it seems that it might be getting too hot in that area where the bpt is causing failure in these hoses. i mean if an OEM hose would fail frequently, i wonder how long will this hose i put in last? oh well.. at least i know how to fix it..

CEL light off!!! thanks to this forum!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.