Nissan Quest – 2004 – Code P0306 – Location of Cylinder 6

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Nissan Quest – 2004 – Code P0306 – Location of Cylinder 6

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Oldman 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

lordofthering
    Participant

Hi,
    I am geeting OBD2 code P0306 and I was wondering which one is Cylinder 6 for Nissan Quest ?. Can someone please provide me diagram of Cylinders in 2004 Quest model ?

Oldman
    Participant

bank 1 is the firewall side (cylinders 1, 3, 5) and bank 2 is the radiator side (cylinders 2, 4, 6). Cylinder 1 would be the closest to the passenger side wheel, cylinder 6 would be closest to the driver side wheel. However, take that with a grain of salt because i have not seen them in the FSM. Maybe the haynes manual shows it.

prasadsubbu
    Participant

I have 2004 nissan quest(64k) with same code p0306. I took cue from above post to find position of cylinder 6 and replaced coil 6 and 4. Still problem comes in 6.

Then I replaced the spark plug in cylinder 6 with new one. Still same code p0306 comes. Ofcourse, I do disonnect battery and erase code before both the tries.

Below are my questions:

1) Is air intake separate for each cylinder? If so where I can locate it?
    2) If air intake is common for all cylinders, then can a single cylinder miss fire if we have leak in it?
    3) How to check the harness of ignition coil(whether power comes to it or not)?

Appreciate your answers folks.

Oldman
    Participant

The short answer is the air intake most likely has nothing to do with the misfire. P0306 is recorded by the ECU when the plug is not firing correctly. Take a coil from the junkyard and put it in cylinder 6. Don’t get a new one off eBay, eBay coils can cause the misfire code. If you want to see what the air intake looks like, check out my post regarding spark plug replacement.

Oldman
    Participant

The quick way to diagnose the coil in cylinder 6 is to swap it with the ones next to it. If you swap it with cylinder four and the code becomes P0304 you know that coil is no good. I think OEM coil has a stamp of Hanshin or Mitsubishi, if you get it from the yard.

prasadsubbu
    Participant

Oldman,

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned in my original post, I did the exercise of swapping coil between 4 and 6 cylinder. I am still getting same error code p0306.

I changed sparkplug in cylinder 6(the original spark plug had some burn mark in porcelain surface) and tried again. Still same p0306 code.

That is when I thought may be we have separate air intake for each cylinder. If common air intake is leaking, then misfire should happen randomly in all cylinders.

The other possibility is proper signal not coming to ignition harness. Don’t know how to check that?

Again, thanks for your reply. If you have any more ideas, let me know.

Oldman
    Participant

Ha, I went right past the part where you said you swapped cyl 4 and 6. Since your plug shows something abnormal, check the rest of them, at least the ones you can get to easily. How’s the condition of the engine? Have there been many things done to it? Is it down on power? Next thing to check is whether you have a head gasket issue. Is the car overheating? A misfire can be caused by coolant leaking into the cylinder. You can check it with a radiator pressure tester. Just get a loaner tool from autozone with the radiator cap adaptor. Check youtube videos for how to use it. Pressurize the radiator to 16-18psi and see how fast it goes down. It should not lose pressure at all after 5 minutes. If it does you have a head gasket issue. If radiator pressure is good then check cylinder compression. Check youtube Eric the car guy and several others like Scottie Kilmer and realfixesrealfast. Autozone or advance also has the compression tester as a loaner tool.

Oldman
    Participant

Checking the coil itself is not a straightforward thing to do. You have to have a pretty sophisticated analyzer tool to do that. The easier thing to do is take the plug out and put a plug tester that lights up when you turn the engine on. But even then you may have a hard time telling whether the firing is normal or not. You need to be able to tell if there is any difference in firing patterns between cyl 6 and the others. If you can, the problem is electrical. It could be anything like an internally broken wire to the ecu itself. If not, then just concentrate on the mechanical tests in my previous post.

lordofthering
    Participant

I wish I would have exact answer for you but I had same code p0306 and First I changed all spark Plug did not fix the problem. Then changed all front three coil and still did not fix the problem. Finally I ended up changing 3 coils on Firewall and it fixed the problem. In short I do not have exact cylinder number to tell you which one you should change spark Plug and coil but if you have not changed spark plug and coil recently i would recommend you change all and it should fix your problem. I bought coils for $20 each from ebay and NGK spark plug from local store. Since Firewall side required to remove manifold, it is good idea to change both at the same time.

This manual link may help you
    http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Quest/2004_Quest/ec.pdf

prasadsubbu
    Participant

Oldman,

Thanks for elaborate reply. No, the engine is not heating. I am always watchful about it while driving since my other car had head gasket issue some time back.

The van is having just 65k on it. That is why I was not suspecting either headgasket or valve problem. But who knows, it could be anything at the end of the day.

Lordofthering had some interesting information. From what he has done, it looks like if it is p0306 code, it is not cast in stone that it is problem with 6th cylinder! I would not guess that in a million years.

AS to location of cylinder 6, according to the sources in internet, it is front right most when you face the car from front. I verified it in several sources. 1,3,5 firewall side. 2,4,6 front side.

I am not a handy man enough to open firewall side. Have to find some reliable mechanic. What would be good price to do gasket job, or fuel injector or cylinder valve job on this Van? Just want to know the worst case sceanrio and what I am getting at.

Thanks a lot to both of you for all the information provided.

prasadsubbu
    Participant

Lordofthering,

Thanks for manual.

prasadsubbu
    Participant

Oldman,

In answering your other questions, so far nothing is done to the engine. Ofcourse, I bought it at 30k miles on it. Don’t know anything done before that. It had clean car fax and I bought it from Chevy dealer.

Yes, I feel car struggles while accelarating. There was some air sound coming inside at driver side when I accelerate through a point. As this was brutal winter, cars do strange things. Thinking that, I did not pay attention. But it continued through sprint. It comes when I accelerate and goes when I accelerate further.

Another observation I made was, the engine coolant level was lower the low mark when the car is cool.

This is all I could see and observe.

Oldman
    Participant

Well i thought when you mentioned your spark plug had some burn marks on the porcelain I immediately assumed something wrong with it. That’s not necessarily correct. The plug insulator frequently develop brown streaks after a while. Post a pic of the plugs on the front bank and we can tell if they’re normal or not. The second thing is when you check for coolant level you have to check the level in the radiator, not the overflow tank. You should also check for greenish/yellowish deposit around the hoses on the coolant hose that hangs off the cowl. That place tends to develop leaks as well as the top and bottom radiator hoses. if you can smell coolant after driving for a while most likely there’s a leak under pressure somewhere. I suppose it’s possible for a p0306 to originate somewhere other than cylinder 6 but then you can’t easily check the firewall side cylinders to find out, unless you have access to another vq35de car you can test the coils in it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.