OEM Tire Replacement

New Topics Forums General Discussion Wheel and Tire OEM Tire Replacement

This topic contains 16 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Low-PSI 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

MKFX1026
    Participant

I am needing to replace the OEM tires on my 2004 Nissan Quest. In researching my options, I have found that the only option for this wheel is the Goodyear Eagle LS2. With less than 24,000 miles on my current tires, I was hoping for other options. The comments at TireRack.com on the tire are worth reading. I have found no one that likes the tires. And, I have no interest in spending more than $115+ on each tire for a 30,000 mile tire. It is ashame that Nissan can make a nice van but is willing to lose future sales over a bad tire. I have looked at the option given by Sears to replace the tire with a 235/60/16. But, why should I be forced to do this. Has anyone else contacted Nissan? If so, what was your response. I have spoke to them (and the dealer) several times this week and have so far been given the run-around.

Would love to hear from others who have contacted Nissan.

buster
    Participant

I replaced mine with 235/60/16 Yokohama Avid V4s from TireRack. They were $85 each plus shipping ($43 for all 4) and $11 each to mount and balance at my local Walmart. They perform well in dry and wet conditions but apparently are not a good choice for snow/ice as I recently found out on vacation in the mountains.

I’m unhappy with Nissan as well, but just chalked it up to a learning experience–next time while I’m kicking the tires I’ll also check to see how many choices come in that size. 🙂

Keep us posted on what you choose and how well they perform as I’m sure there will be many more looking to this site for help choosing a replacement tire!

MKFX1026
    Participant

Thanks for the response. Just spoke to Nissan on Monday. They told me to go back to the Dealer. Nissan would not help me. I was hoping that they would replace the wheel that would accept a more common tire size. Dealer could only tell me that I should put back on the manufactured suggested tires (Goodyears Eagle LS). I did see this size tire being sold in Europe (I believe Germany)by Michlein & Continental. Looked like a good tire. Last time I will buy a Nissan!!!!

shortyb

I understand your frustration, my Badyears wore out past the wearbars in 23K. They are truly crappy tires. I went with Yokohama Avid TRZs this time and its like a night and day difference. Much better dry and wet traction with improved responsiveness to boot. Quiet and nice riding tires. I have 17s but they are available in 235/60-16. In fact, just changing to this size opens up alot more options than just being stuck with the Crapyears. Only $86 a tire at Tire Rack.

MCA
    Participant

Just a little searching on my favorite tire manufacturer’s site – http://www.nokiantires.com shows a section dedicated to van tires. The one summer specific tire they make doesn’t list sizes – but all the all season and winter tires list a 225/65/16 size. Nokian’s rock in nasty weather and their “all season” tires typically do as well as most dedicated snows in the white stuff and better in the dry than most all seasons. I’m a firm believer in dedicated snow tires and dedicated summer tires. The badyears will come off the van this November and will probably never see the road again – so if someone wants a set of LS2’s with probably less than 10k on them in November make me an offer!

MCA

06 3.5S Special Edition
    02 VW Jetta TDI

Garandman

All the local tire places suggested 235/60 as replacement. Many brands/models in that size are eassentially identical in dimensions to the OEM tire, including rolling diameter. Most have higher weight capacity as well.

Mastrocalo
    Participant

Good post.Thankz for the tips Garandman

garycox

I seem to be lucky, I’m at 34k and I’m looking for tires. Everyone seems confused about the size since it’s so odd. I’ve contacted multiple dealers and Nissan and was told only 225/65/16 option is all I can do with and only Goodyear makes it in the Eagle LS (ls stands for less than satisfactory) style. Dealers and Nissan seem as confused about it as I am. In an email from Nissan they said that they searched and could only find Goodyear with that tire…

With the info on the nokiantires I can’t find anyone who has them. Someone said that they went with a 235/60/16 which is a smaller tire. From what I found, it will cause your speedometer to be 1.5 miles off and it isn’t a manufacturer recommended size.

It sure appears that someone created nearly a monopoly by having this odd size tire. Does any other vehicle use the 225/65/16 size or it it just the Nissan Quest?

MCA
    Participant

Where are you located at Gary? On the http://www.nokiantires.com site there is a Dealer Locator link.

Your local rep is probably a mom and pop tire/repair shop who orders from a regional distributor.

MCA

06 3.5S Special Edition
    02 VW Jetta TDI

fpogoda

Is the 235-55-17 a better option than a 215-65-17? Both are within the 3% diametric tolerance.
    Thanks for the quick help!

lbrowne
    Participant

I have 235/55/17 Nokians on my 04 SE. The dry and wet traction are great however the snow and ice is frightening. But that is not the fault of Nokian, they’re just not suited for that type of condition.

I’ll get another set in the fall since winter is almost over. I’ll go with a really good all season as getting a second set of rims with new tires is just too much. Its a shame because the Nokians on the van, (I bought the van a couple of weeks ago) are practically brand new.

cfdfireman1
    Participant

Now made in the factory size on tirerack.com. Not very well rated though. My NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA RSi’s totally kick ass but it’s time to think about summers.

Jonny
    Participant

Hi there. It would seem to me that the Goodyear compfortread is available in your size range. Keep in mind there is an allowable tolerance in tire size requirement. The LS2 is bad tire. I am a mechanic that works for Goodyear. I would be glad to look into this delema.

JarzQuest
    Participant

What do you mean “not very well rated, though”? That may be your opinion, but the facts say something very different…do the research…these tires are extremely well rated (in all categories)…check out Tirerack and Consumer Reports, just to name a few. Let’s stick to the facts here…we will all be much better off. And yes, I own them too…couldn’t be happier with these tires…

nfurr
    Participant

Wanted to re-iterate there are now good options for OEM replacement. Yokohama now makes the P265/65R16 (2004 Quest original tire size) in the AVID TRZ style. You can buy these at tirerack.com or as I did, at a local tire store. They list much lower than the Goodyear Eagle LS (pretty much the only option earlier) and have rave reviews compared to Goodyear. If you want other options you no longer need to compromise by using a different tire size.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.