Passenger sliding door fell off! Please help to determine if this is a factory issue.

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Passenger sliding door fell off! Please help to determine if this is a factory issue.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cwmont 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JohnNJ2005Quest
    Participant

We have always had intermittent problems with our rear passenger sliding door. The vehicle only has a power tailgate and passenger sliding door. The driver’s side door is manual only.

The passenger slider would get stick from time to time and we would have to manually close it. Not the end of the world.

Last saturday, the cable visabbly had some slack and the door would not open all the way. It would with a little help (honestly a little not kicking or hitting it with any strength). My son went in the car we were ready to leave and the door would now not close. I moved it back to re-open it and the whole thing popped off the back track, the panel popped off and the door fell on me. It is of course out of warranty and insurance will not cover it since it was not in an accident (I am an honest person).

The dealership said it will be around 2K to fix. I can’t believe this is okay to be a wear issue… especially when I barely use that door with one child. We only use it when we invite over our friends and load up the family bus for a trip to the zoo, etc.

I searched the internet and formus and cannot find any support of other issues like this. My brother-in-law owns the same van and had to have his door repaired for about 1K a couple years ago. It did not fall off, but he brought it in for getting stuck. That is what made me live with it since it was so expensive… maybe it was a sign of this day and I should have brought it in earlier.

So, If you are having issues, please have it checked out as I don’t want anyone to have their door fall off on them. Second, if anyone has more information to help me argue with Nissan, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

cwmont
    Participant

2K! Wow that’s a lot of money to fix. Have you tried searching to see if there are any TSB’s out on the door assembly? I seem to remember that there were a couple regarding the replacement procedure for the motor and cable as well as one for the adjustment. If you ever had the door serviced at the dealer for any reason and they “didn’t” check for open TSB’s, you might have some ammo. Here’s the TSB numbers relating to sliding door for the 05 model year.

Make : NISSAN Model : QUEST Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Service Bulletin Number : NTB-09-113 Date of Bulletin : OCT 16, 2009
    NHTSA Item Number : 10031244
    Component : STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR

Service Bulletin Number : 03080B Date of Bulletin : FEB 10, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10003510

Service Bulletin Number : 05036 Date of Bulletin : MAY 12, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10015899

You can research the numbers. Hope this helps. If it was me, I’d check with at least 3 body shops before I’d pay the dealer 2K to fix it. If you haven’t already been there, head over to the forums at Nissanhelp.com. Very good site. Free to post but if you join you can download service manuals and all the factory TSB’s. I think it was 10.00 bucks to join and you can download all the stuff. If you don’t want to join, let me know and I’ll DL the door TSB’s and email them to you.

Here’s the link

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/quest/

Good luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.