Please help!! 2001 Nissan Quest SE timing belt. I'm getting conflicting info

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Please help!! 2001 Nissan Quest SE timing belt. I'm getting conflicting info

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ricebike 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

BryanDeanTrio
    Participant

Mechanic says my 2001 quest has an interference engine. Says ‘sometimes’ I have seen little to no damage if you just replace the timing belt. Says I have a 60/40 shot I don’t have bent valves. My mechanic friend says I have a NON interference engine. I am VERY CONFUSED by what I see online. Both claim to be true. Please SOMEONE tell me which one I have? The mechanic is quoting 3000+ for another engine/labor IF when they put the timing belt on it doesn’t RUN.

Please confirm–it seems insane to have any interference engines on anything post 2000-

Please, which engine do I have?

dtownfb
    Participant

Everything I’ve read states this is a non-interference engine.

pablo831
    Participant

http://answers.edmunds.com/question-Is-my-Nissan-Frontier-V6-engine-an-interference-engine-126321.aspx

You may want to read the above link to put more light on the matter. I own a 2002 villager with 103k miles and will wait. The more I read about it I believe the villager is non interference and the quest is possibly interference.

prgonzalez
    Participant

Pablo,

I would not wait in replacing the timing belt. Even though the engine is a non-interference engine, you don’t want to be stranded on the road at any given point.

The belt replacement can be done in less than 12-hours (DIY) work including breaks and time for meals.

Pedro

Tswitzer

My wifes quest broke the belt going 45mph she said ‘it made a grinding sound’ and died. I pulled the diet. cap and no rotor movement, i looked on the internet like everyone else and found all of the conflicting information. I pulled the plugs and ran a bore scope into the cyl’s. to my surprise there was no visable damage or signs of contact between the pistons and valves. long story short i put a belt on and it purred like a kitten. it is definatly worth the time and money to try before putting a motor in or junking the quest.

ricebike
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.