Pls help! My 02 Nissan Quest GXE

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Pls help! My 02 Nissan Quest GXE

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  prgonzalez 12 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

jgoods06
    Participant

My 02 Quest GXE was running poorly at 2000 RPMs and speedometer would not come on. After 10-15 mins of driving speedometer would come on and it ran fine. Has gotten worse so got codes read and it said speed sensor and knock sensor. I replaced the speed sensor this morning and took for a drive. Ran great for short while before it died and won’t start. RPM gauge was jumping all over the place while driving. Have knock sensor in my hand. $100, am I wasting time doing this and it’s not the problem.

prgonzalez
    Participant

jgood,

Do not pay attention to the knock sensor. That is a waste of money repair.

Your problem is very likely to be the CAM position sensor in the distributor. To fix it, replace the distributor and recheck timing. If the van does not start at all now, the unlikely problem could be the ECM (engine computer). I have mine being repaired in Florida. My van does not start at all. I spent one month doing all kind of testing to confirm it was a computer problem.

The speed sensor is a good repair because the signal is also used by the transmission computer.

Pedro

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  prgonzalez.
    • This reply was modified 1 year ago by  prgonzalez.

jgoods06
    Participant

I talked to my mechanic. He said since the car briefly ran well with new speed sensor then got worse maybe the new speed sensor was no good. Got another coming in to auto zone this morning. Will try new one and see how it goes. If not is cam position sensor an easy repair? I know distributor is very accessible so shouldnt be too difficult. Just pop top off and it should be in there?

jgoods06
    Participant

Oh ok I misread it. So I will pit new speed sensor in. If problem persists I will get new distributor and put it in. Hope it’s works. At 150k miles not really worth dumping too much more $ into this van cause I’m sure more issues are sure to come up soon.
    Pedro thanks for your help so far and saving me the money with the knock sensor by the way.

prgonzalez
    Participant

jgoods,

At 150K miles you should have a very healthy van that will need some TLC very soon. Mine is 237K miles and still strong. My advantage is that I do maintenance myself, keeping the overall cost of repairs to a minimum.

There is a very good article in the web for troubleshooting the distributor. Search for “Power Transistor Test and Ignition Coil Test 3.3L Nissan”. The web site is “www.easyautodiagnostics.com” Your mechanic can use it to confirm the distributor failure.

We are here to help.

Pedro

jgoods06
    Participant

Put in new distributor and it won’t turn over to start now. Never an issue before. Could I be one slot off on install? 95% sure it right. Mechanic who is assuring me said it sounds out of time

prgonzalez
    Participant

Did you get the article from http://www.easyautodiagnostics.com?

When you say “…it won’t turn over to start now.” What do you really mean? The engine should turn over (aka cranks up) when the key is moved from ON to START. If the engine does not turn over at all (not cranking) then the starter is not receiving the start signal. That is a different situation.

If the engine cranks but does not start, then I strongly recommend to follow the troubleshooting procedure from http://www.easyautodiagnostics.com.

If your mechanic thinks about the engine being out of time, it could be the distributor was not installed correctly (one or more slots off) or you have some trouble with the timing belt. By the way, did you replaced the timing belt at 105K miles? If not, then a quick cylinder compression test can tell us a lot.

Does the engine cough sounding a piston explosion is happening once in a while?

As I said, I am just getting my van fixed from a crank-no-start condition and extensive troubleshooting pointed at the computer. The computer was fixed and I am awaiting it to arrive home this Friday. However, my van has 237K miles with original distributor by the way.

Lokahi117
    Participant

It sounds like this is another yet all to common situation of once it’s fixed they don’t come back to update cause of…..well….selfishness really.

I am likely having to do my distributor soon as it’s givi me a p306 code every other day or so and running very roughly at times and only so so most of the time.

As always Pedro your advice is awesome and I will find that article to assist me in replacing it.

Also can we post videos here or links to videos as I usually do a video of my repairs every time so others can see me doing it and hopefully not be scared of a van with only 150,000 miles. If you take of the vehicle, it should go much further.

And any used car you buy will likely have been neglected so it will require a lot right of the bat so you’re better off to stick with the one you know and just care for it and maintain it.

jgoods06
    Participant

It was my distributor. I opened it up and found metal shavings inside. It was 4-5 of the ball bearing that go around the shaft inside the distributor. The replacement was easy, it a YouTube video of replacing distributor on a mercury villager.
    I do have a new symptom since replace that I will start a new post for to see if anyone can help. Thanks Pedro btw saved me a lot of $$$

prgonzalez
    Participant

I am glad you got one out jgoods06. I always think about doing videos, but normally I work faster when I don’t.

Lokahi117, these vans are not that bad and they are reliable if we keep them in good order. I have read some other vans with over 380K miles. So, I am targeting those levels.

prgonzalez
    Participant

By the way, if you want to keep the distributor, the bearing is a 6000-ZZ. I just replaced mine and the distributor keeps going. Still original distributor.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.