Poor gas mileage only in winter!

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest Poor gas mileage only in winter!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tjquest95 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JohnnyDill
    Participant

First of all, this is a great running Villager with 181K miles. No check engine lights. This thing gets GREAT mileage in the Michigan summer. With all the seats and luggage racks removed with high tire pressures, I always average 25-26 MPG city/highway mix…. BUT in the winter, it gets lousy mileage… like 17-18 MPG driving the same roads and destinations… Is there a sensor or something that could cause this? In the summer I did a mileage test and at 55 MPH I netted 30 mpg using cruise control- no kidding! -So the base tune must be good. Any help is appreciated. 🙂

tjquest95

Since your economy is good in the summer I would suspect it is taking longer to warm up in the winter temps there. One thing to check is how quickly the engine temp gets to norm. Also, remember the O2 sensor is exposed to the cold air and will take longer to get warm as well. This will cause it to run rich longer. One thing you can do is blank off a portion of your radiator so the engine will warm up faster. Also check the thermostat. If it is stuck open or even partially open this will keep the engine from warming up fast enough and really drop the mileage. You won’t see this as much in hot summer months.

I have a ’95 quest that was getting (according to my daughter who was driving it the last two years) around 15mpg. I gave it a tune up with new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and O2 sensor (hadn’t been replaced in at least 100k miles) and I’m now getting 21-22mpg in mixed driving.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.