Power Sliding Door Cable

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Power Sliding Door Cable

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  alejandra 19777 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

flexbert

I have a 2006 Quest SE. We were away on vacation last week and the left (driver’s side) sliding door wouldn’t close under power – it went about half way and would reverse itself open, with the warning chime going off. I turned off the power doors using the overhead console switch and pushed the door closed manually. It took a bit of effort but I got it closed. The kids were reminded every time we got in and out of the van to NOT OPEN THE LEFT SLIDING DOOR. We managed to get home without further incident.

Over the weekend I took the interior panel off to see what was going on with the door. It became readily apparent that the “closing” cable attached to the slider had broken at the attachment point to the slider. The closing cable had wrapped itself around the reel that the cable goes around. I am not sure if the cable broke first and then wrapped itself or if the cable was wrapped around the reel and broke when I forced the door closed manually. I suspect the latter, since the door was starting to close itself and then reversing. I removed the “opening” cable from the slider and disconnected the motor so that we can operate the door manually without having the power assist mode kick in, while still being able to operate the passenger power door and rear lift gate electrically. The left side sliding door opens and closes smoothly in manual mode and that is part of the reason that I think the cable jammed rather than something in one of the tracks.

My plan is to inspect, lubricate and repair the moving parts of the door when I get to that. I have tracked down (see attached file) a “Nissan Technical Bulletin NTB09-113a” dated February 16, 2010 with the procedure for “Sliding Door Motor and Cable Assembly Replacement” for the 2004-2007 Quest.

I haven’t been to the stealer yet to find out how much the replacement parts are, but does anyone know if I can just get new cables or if I have to get the entire Cable Assembly (part # 82511-5Z00A as per attached NTB) ? Any thoughts on the probability of getting a Cable Assembly from a wrecker ?

BTW, I am in Halifax, NS, Canada.

Thanks,

–flexbert

edit – I attempted to attach the file mentioned above but I cannot seem to see it in the post

twintastic
    Participant

How did you resolve the issue…my cable broke 4 days ago…please let us…know

thanks

twintastic
    Participant

Saved $1300. Looked at the service manual. Open the panel, took the part out straightened, cleaned and greased the cable. Put in, some portuguese sweat, determination, and customizing and viola. Done. Hopefully it will last for a while.

flexbert

The parts are still sitting on my bench … one of those things that I’ll get to eventually. I know that I need to replace the cable if I can source that by itself.

–flexbert

twinblown

My sliding door stoped working whenever I try to pull the outside handle. I peaked through a hole on the front of the door and noticed the handle cable has broken lose from a attaching point; easy fix. My question to any of you guys is: In order to remove the door panel did you do it with the door closed or open at all times. Any input appeciated

twinblown

Did this over the weekend. In order to pull the door panel I had to work with a open and close door situation; I did not replace the handle cable but managed to prevent the cable from falling off of the mount point (where it came loose from) by holding it with a zip tie…works now! this fix should last.
    For those that are looking for the main door cable I read in a Nissan bulletin that you can buy it seperate so you don’t have to buy the entire motor and cable.
    Good luck

twintastic
    Participant

My attempt on fixxing the cable lasted 2-3 months because i was used the old cable. Well hopefully round 2 will work. I just bought new cable from the hardware store and a bike shop.. hopefully it will work. wish me luck.

Low-PSI
    Participant

“Luck!”

JCNNN
    Participant

Nissan only sells the entire cable assembly. You can buy coated (This is important) cable from Home Depot and replace the cables yourself. Make sure that the tension is tight or you will have problems. The cost of parts is under $15.
    Nathan

alejandra 19777
    Participant

The Nissan quest are for recall for that problem they do it for free you need the Nissan recall center.

alejandra 19777
    Participant

The Nissan quest are for recall for that problem they do it for free you need the Nissan recall center.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.