Radio Questions.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Cooldaddycars 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cooldaddycars
    Participant

I have recently purchased an 06 SL Special Edition. I have two questions:

1. When playing a CD, I can press the display button and it shows a display for the “Album Title” and “Track Title”, but doesn’t list the actual information. I thought this might be for only MP3’s and so I put in an MP3 disc, but it doesnt play. How do I get this information to display?

2. I have a “SAT” button on the radio, but no satellite installed. Is there some after-market system I can install to receive XM radio and utilize this button without having any “external” systems to my factory radio ( I don’t want to have a seperate system to control the XM, I want to use the screen on the console)?

Thanks for any help!

cleeland
    Participant

Which radio system do you have? Do you have the Bose 6-disc changer, or the standard single-disc?

My 2004 SL did not recognize MP3s in either the CD or the DVD player; I haven’t tried on the 2006 but I suspect the situation is the same. The 2007 advertises that it has MP3 capabilities (finally!)

I’m honestly not sure how the player would display title/track info for a CD. That info would have to come from a database somewhere (it’s not coded on a standard “red book” audio CD anywhere); on your computer it comes from a download from CDDB(TM).

Regarding XM, I suspect that if you want it with integration, you’d best be served getting the tuner from Nissan. That way you’ll get the factory level of integration.

cleeland
    Participant

Actually, I stand corrected regarding track/title info on a CD. Apparently there is a “new” (relative to the last time I read the CD standard) standard for “CD+Text”. There’s a good description at http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/cdtext.htm

I’ve also since discovered that, on the Mac, Roxio Toast can burn CDs with this info embedded. Since I don’t use Windows, I can’t advise on software that supports this feature, but I’m sure there’s something out there.

Cooldaddycars
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll have to find a CD that has the text already encoded to see if it works!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.