Real World Gas Mileage

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2011 Nissan Quest Real World Gas Mileage

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  sabecolbert 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

zootscoot

Have only had my 2011 Nissan Quest LE for about 8 months. It only has around 7000 miles. Though the specs say 19 city and 24 highway, my real world numbers are more like 16 in pretty mixed driving, and I have taken two pretty long highway trips (using the cruise control most of the time) and have been getting something like 18 to 19 mpg. To me that is just way too low, especially on the highway using cruise control. The people at the dealership say I need to wait till about 20,000 miles and it should improve.

I am curious what other people are getting. Please feel free to chime in with your mileage, and any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,

gipsonmt

I just got a 2011 LE and will check gas mileage tomorrow and let u know. But that seems a little low. When you are traveling is it loaded down with lots of passengers/luggage? That could affect mileage. I guess it’s also possible that with only 7k miles the computer is still optimizing the settings (a/f ratios, etc).

zootscoot

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to hearing what your experience is with the gas mileage. As for the two long trips we took, I wouldn’t say we were loaded down. On one trip we had two adults and a decent amount of luggage. But not so much that we had to put all the seats down. On the second trip we had two adults, two small children under two, and some luggage. Again, not what I would call loaded. On either of these trips even if we had averaged 22mpg I would have been happy, but on average I believe we ended up at around 19 or 20 which (too me) seems low. Thanks again for the reply 🙂

solymosi

We have had our 2011 Quest for half a year and our real world fuel economy is in the following range:

Highway: 20.5 – 23.5 mpg
    City: 16.2 – 19.6 mpg

If we travel on a flat highway at a steady speed we can get even better fuel economy but I would say the numbers above are pretty reasonable for the mountainous highways here in BC. I only use regular gas (not premium) and everything else on the van is stock. Current odometer reading is 13,000 Kms which is about 8,000 miles.

gipsonmt

Ok, we just got back from our 250 mile trip (ea way). About 85% of it was spend on highway driving. My fuel economy averaged 19.1 mpg. It was on mostly flat terrain (through Texas). I was on cruise most of the time. However, I was doing an average of probably 80-85mph which I don’t think is probably an optimal speed to get the best mileage. I’m going to keep watching it and will post back if I see any improvements.

zootscoot

Thanks for the info. I guess we’re running about the same city wise (though I rarely get above 16), and on our highway trips they have all been very flat (no hills), so I feel we are on the low side there.

wolfy
    Participant

We have 4500 miles on our LE now, and we usually get around 19-20 in town, and around 23 or so on the highway. So close to what is expected. I hope to see the highway number increase, but I live in KS, and its windy, and never to my back;)

zootscoot

That’s better than I ever get, and we have more miles on ours (they keep trying to convince me there is a break in period). I live in MO, and I have done two trips with fairly flat terrain. I usually average about 19 on those trips.

zootscoot

Same here! One of my trips was to TX as well. Well over 300 miles. Averaged about the same, used the cruise control, and was also doing in the 80mph range. I guess the extra MPH really kills the fuel eco. I know on our sedan (which is a gas guzzling V-6 rated for the same MPG as the van 19 city & 25 HWY), even at 80 something averaged 23 on the highway (clearly different vehicles with different weights), but still I find 19 to a be pretty poor showing. Something like 22mpg would be more understandable given driving conditions. OH well, thanks for the feedback.

E52 SPL
    Participant

The gauges read 18.1 mixed LA driving. Traffic blows, I idle it quite often, love smashing the gas pedal to get moving in traffic.

wolfy
    Participant

just an update. Last tank was 100% in town and we got 20.4 by the computer and 20.57 by hand. Not bad at all

wildwilly
    Participant

Just picked this thing up on Thursday. Traded in our 04 Honda Oddy EXL-RES with 59K miles on it. Was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. 9mpg all of the time. I hope the quest is better. This will be my 3rd VQ.
    The computer is reading 6.8 at the moment.:(

michitoffele84
    Participant

especially on the highway using cruise control. The people at the dealership say I need to wait till about 20,000 miles and it should improve.

wolfy
    Participant

Another update. We now have 13,000 Miles on the van. Fantastic van for sure. Had a long trip for Christmas. 400 miles one way. Got 18.97 computer, 19.21 hand MPG gong 77MPH into a 15-25MPH head wind, gusts up to 40. Yeah windy and not fun.

So on the way back I figured we might catch a tail wind. Naw, weather changed and had a 10-20MPH head wind the way back. 19.98 computer, 20.85 Hand MPG’s. So the worst I have seen, but considering the conditions not terrible. Very windy, and the temps were 10-30F depending.

The last trip here all in town was 21.2 according to the computer, I forgot to hand calc that one, but the computer has been pretty close.

wildwilly
    Participant

That’s a little lower than I would expect, but nor horrible for a school bus and probably winter blend fuel crap. My wife took ours on a trip a couple days after we got it and the trip computer returned a little under 25. I did not hand calculate…but according to your calc..it may have been 26 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.