Replacing Brakes 06 Quest S

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Replacing Brakes 06 Quest S

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tacticaldriver 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tacticaldriver
    Participant

I am getting ready to replace my brakes myself. Do I need any specific tools other than a metric socket set?

twinblown

I just did my rear ones 2 weeks ago and it was a breeze. One thing to note is that the service manual says to remove the lower sliding bolt to raise the torque member but I don’t see how the bolt would come out because it touches a solid part of the suspension so what I did is removed the upper one. I remember someone in this forum talking about this and how they had to place another jack to raise the wheel in order to move the suspension link out of the way so the slinding pin would come out. I just sat there looking at it and said why can’t you remove the upper one? so I did and had no problem lowering the torque member and replacing the pads. Torqued down the sliding pin to 32 foot pounds and I was done. I think the manual says to remove the lower so you don’t kink the brake line. As far as the front ones I had the dealer do them including resurfacing the rotors for $199…good luck!

cirrus
    Participant

I have changed the front and rear pads and rotors. The rear are not difficult if you have done brakes before. You need your usual brake clean, antiseize, metric wrench, jack. If you are only changing pads, you just need to remove the top caliper bolt to replace the pads. If you need to replace the rotors, then you need a jack to jack up the suspension to get the bottom caliper bolt out.

Picture of just replacing the pads without removing the caliper
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Picture of jacking up the suspension to remove the bottom bolt and remove the caliper
    Photobucket

The most recent brake job I did for the front, I used Nissan OEM pads, and was surprised they were actually made by Akebono directly from Japan
    Photobucket

tacticaldriver
    Participant

I am going to tackle it this weekend. I have access to a lift and all the tools I need, so I don’t have to purchase anything. Has anyone done anything with the parking brake pads? How do I tell if they need to be replaced. Was just thinking about going a head and doing it since I am replacing the rotors.

cirrus
    Participant

While I had my rear rotors off, I did play around with the parking brakes. Since they are only engaged to stop the car from rolling when parked, the parking brake pads should be like brand new. You can adjust it a bit if you think the tension is loose from years of use, but generally you don’t need to. Once you have the rear rotors off, you will see the parking brake pads. The principle of parking brake is like drum brakes. They push out on the inside of the rotor to stop it from moving. You can see my pics I posted before, there you can clearly see the parking brake pads.

tacticaldriver
    Participant

attempted to start changing out my brakes tonight. I was interrupted by one bust lug-nut stud, and two others that are froze. I am guessing Goodyear when the rotated my tires use an impact wrench to seat them completely on, or they cross threaded the lug-nuts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.