Rotten Egg Smell, poor gas mileage – but no light on?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Rotten Egg Smell, poor gas mileage – but no light on?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dtownfb 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

melann78
    Participant

I have an ’04 SL with only 52,000 miles on it. We bought it over the summer. There is a rotten egg type smell seemingly getting worse. I really seem to notice it after I go up a hill and are at a stoplight, or when I pull into our garage (we live at the top of a hill). But then again, this morning when I dropped my son off at school he opened the door to get out and a wave of it hit me and there were no real hills around. Plus, my gas mileage is terrible, around 15 in town. With no a/c!

My husband refuses to believe it’s the catalytic converter because there is no type of warning light on. If it’s not that, what is it? I am really embarrassed by the smell! The van looks so nice, I just can’t believe the smell. Anyone had this issue?

Marstainage
    Participant

Our’s has the same smell, don’t know if it’s the Cat or not but try running a can of Seafoam in it and some better gas to see if it helps, maybe 93 Amoco gas, I’m going to do the same thing.

dtownfb
    Participant

I’m assuming that this happens all the time and not just for this tank of gas. The catalytic converter is the first place I would look. And try a different brand of gas.

BTW, your in-town gas mileage is not poor. Remember this is a heavy vehicle. We typically get 14-15 mpg in-town which is all stop and go. The average miles per hour calculated by the computer is always less than 20 mph which supports the stop and go driving.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.