SLIDER DOOR HANDLE BROKE !!!

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest SLIDER DOOR HANDLE BROKE !!!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ludar 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dune
    Participant

Anyone had this happen?

If so please offer suggestions – thanks!

Not as hard as it seems. Get in van and close sliding door. Plastic just pops off. Need to remove the door handle bezel plastic and the door panel itself. Easy.

There are 3 screws with a hex head (10mm) that hold the interior door handle to the door frame. Remove them. They are gold colored. You also need to remove the door locking mechanism. To do this you have to open the door. There are 4 screws that hold it in place. Silver and should have blue seal lock on them that you will see when you start unscrewing them.

You have to take all of that loose to get enough play to get the exterior door handle loose. There are two 10mm nuts that hold the exterior door handle on. You can easily get them with an extension.

You do not have to remove the interior handle or anything. Just needs the play to get the levers of the exterior handle in there. Once you tighten it all back up it will fall back into place. again it was fairly easy.

ricebike
    Participant

yes! i purchased one w/ the exterior driver-side slider door handle missing…

source one out from the salvage yard

or stealership wanted $42 for a replacement part…

since i can still open it from the inside; this is on the backburner
    ———————-

edit; i got one brand new from an eBay seller for less than $30 shipped!

easy install

I ordered an aftermarket handle for my 1999 Mercury Villager from Ebay. $23 or something like that. It is made of plastic, where the stock handle seems to be made of pot metal. I installed the handle, but it won’t trip the latch when the door is closed. I have tried pushing down the latch and tripping it with the door open, and the handle trips it every time. I tried lubing the moving parts with lithium grease. I didn’t take time to measure them, but the trigger that pushes out when you raise the handle seems like it might be a little shorter on the new handle…not sure. Any suggestions?

The good news is that the inside door handle now works since I was able to push in the safety lock.

*Edit* It appears the new handle doesn’t push out far enough to get the lever to pop the latch out. Comparing it to the factory handle, it looks identical as far as the size and the way it is shaped/molded. At this point I’m looking at either bending the rod that connects with the outside handle/lever or crimping some kind of spacer or collar on it that lengthens it slightly.

*Edit* Since the handle was made of a fairly tough, but flexible plastic, I was able to use a pocket knife to cut away some of the material so the handle would open a little wider. This pushed farther on the lever that trips the latch, and now the handle works. So beware of $23 handles on Ebay unless you don’t mind whittling on it a little.

Big O
    Participant

Aloha guys….

Thanks for the help….exactly as you described it!

Wretchasketch….you were spot on…..I bought the part on Ebay for $19 and it was a touch short and slightly off…..I had to tighten down the part with a set of pliers, and as you suggested whittle down the part so that it can open much wider.

Thanks again guys!
    O

Ludar
    Participant

Both of my handles broke off driver and passenger purchase via Ebay but unable to open side doors any ideas., Thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.