So What's Broken On *Your* Quest Lately???

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest So What's Broken On *Your* Quest Lately???

This topic contains 17 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Oldman 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

mrbigbri
    Participant

Here’s a long list of problems I’ve had in the past 5 years:

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150353731347364

1 – Air conditioning condenser unit ($1400)

2 – Electronic panel in driver side sliding door (est $300)

3 – Electric motor and arm failed on rear hatch ($350)

4 – Rear motor mount failed (est $250)

5 – Rear backup sensor failed (est $325)

6 – Major failure of paint on roof ($1200)

7 – Driver side sliding door handle cable broken ($375)

8 – MP3 input jack broken, required replacement of entire stereo ($1100 !)

9 – Both lower control arm bushing failed requiring replacement of the entire control arm ($1240)

10 – Sunshade mirrors broken on both sides requiring complete replacement of sunshade ($410)

11 – Exhaust header gusset failed – ($375)

12 – Oil cooler assembly crack requiring replacement ($185)

13 – Both radiator mount rubber pieces failed (quoted $100 – I did this myself buying the parts in the service dept for $6)

14 – Braking system under sized for vehicle – rotors warp within 8000 miles

Most of this stuff probably isn’t the fault of the assembly plant (except the paint failure), but is the fault of the engineering and design segment of Nissan. I will never, ever, buy another Nissan or Infiniti product. Thankfully, most of the above was covered by the extended warranty we purchased, but now, at 82,000, the warranty has run out and today’s repair bill is going to be over $800 (for the oil cooler and one lower control arm). The prices quoted above include parts and labor at a local Nissan Dealership. BIG mistake thinking that all Japanese manufacturers have similar quality standards. Should have stayed with Toyota.

markathome
    Participant

What year/model do you have?
    We’ve had the front wheel bearings replaced, motor mounts replaced, and now the CD player don’t work.
    7 years old and 100k miles, 2004 SE. Oh, and BTW, we probably won’t go with Nissan again either.

dologiles
    Participant

Well, this is my list and what I can think of off the top of my head. We have a 2006 Nissan Quest with 98,000 miles on it. Thankfully I have a friend that is a mechanic and I have ordered most of my parts online so my repair costs have been much lower than having Nissan do the work. Regardless it still feels like a money pit and will most likely be traded in once the Rack and Pinion is replaced.

Passenger side shade broken, repaired myself
    Air conditioning condenser unit
    All motor mounts failed
    Both lower control arm bushing failed requiring replacement of the entire control arm
    Rack and Pinion being replaced, as I type this.

NYQuest
    Participant

2004 S 7 1/2 years and 94K.

CD player
    Rotors
    Computer

cwmont
    Participant

Purchased new in July 07 currently has 71512 mi.

First thing was the brakes at around 30 to 35 K. I won’t go into the details but just search for brake problems on the Quest. It’s well covered that the brakes on these vans are junk. Now at 71+K they need worked on again. Also replaced 1 oil pressure switch, O-ring on oil filter assembly (major leaker), and Fan belts. Rear pop-out windows have been fixed two times for rattles.

As an aside, my Wife’s 05 X-Terra is at 80K and the brakes have never been touched.

Just got it back this morning 12/02/11 from having the timing chain guide repair on TSB NTB07-042D. Since my warranty runs out at 75K, I told them to have a look and fix anything that needed to be done and was covered by my warranty. OK so here we go. Hope you’re comfy cause it’s a LONG list.

Timing chains (both secondary chains), new chains, guides and tensioners for the same.
    Main timing chain got new guide and tensioner.
    Upper engine mount cracked and separated so replaced.
    Left engine mount cracked and separated so replaced.
    Right front lower control arm bad and bushings cracked and separated, both replaced.
    Left front lower control arm bad and bushings cracked and separated, both replaced.
    Lower radiator hose replaced.
    Replaced both rocker cover gaskets.
    Replaced blow by hose.
    Replace oil pressure switch.

Let me add that all my driving is on paved city streets or freeways. The van has never been on a gravel road or offroad either. I live in AZ so no snow and very little rain.

Very disappointed so far with this van. I loved it for the first 25K. I’ve owned other Nissan’s and NEVER needed this much done to them at this low a mileage. Honestly, of all the cars I’ve owned (and at 60 years old there have been many), I can’t recall ever owning one that needed this much work after 4 years of “normal” use and with this low of mileage.

I’m happy I had the top of the line Nissan extended warranty as I shudder to think how much all this work would have cost me. All I can say is that now that the van is driving good, it’s going to be traded in on something else within the next 3 to 4 months. Just don’t know what yet but it probably won’t be another Nissan van.

Joebafett78
    Participant

We’ve had the front wheel bearings replaced, the front end rebuilt after a deer trie to install itself as an ornament on the hood, and now the Heater Pump is leaking. Anyone else had to change their HP? if so, how do you disconnect the sensor from the left side so I can remove the whole thing from its mount. Have a replacement part inbound via ups right now.

06nordicquest
    Participant

I think I am one of the few who has had good luck with my van. I went to the dealer for a inspection 2weeks before my warranty was up and it needed only a couple exhuast bolts. Under the extended emission warranty I had the cat replaced about a year later. The dealer told me my serpentine belt was cracked and I had a broken front motor mount. First of all the belt itself was NOT cracked. Several spots on the ribs of the belt had split, but that is pretty normal. They wanted to charge me $120 and I declined. Drove the van 30k more miles and did it myself for 12 bucs. I purchased the goodyear gatorback belts which had good reviews and because of their design dont “crack”.I jacked up the van and inspected the motor mount and its not broken. The rubber part has a half inch tear, and has no effect. I already purchased a new mount and inspect it after every oil change. Its no worse than when they found it 3 years ago. The only real things that have broken are my middle row cup holder, which is my kids fault, driver sun shade, and power hatch. The van is an 06 and I have 94k miles.

06nordicquest
    Participant

I think I am one of the few who has had good luck with my van. I went to the dealer for a inspection 2weeks before my warranty was up and it needed only a couple exhuast bolts. Under the extended emission warranty I had the cat replaced about a year later. The dealer told me my serpentine belt was cracked and I had a broken front motor mount. First of all the belt itself was NOT cracked. Several spots on the ribs of the belt had split, but that is pretty normal. They wanted to charge me $120 and I declined. Drove the van 30k more miles and did it myself for 12 bucs. I purchased the goodyear gatorback belts which had good reviews and because of their design dont “crack”.I jacked up the van and inspected the motor mount and its not broken. The rubber part has a half inch tear, and has no effect. I already purchased a new mount and inspect it after every oil change. Its no worse than when they found it 3 years ago. The only real things that have broken are my middle row cup holder, which is my kids fault, driver sun shade, and power hatch. The van is an 06 and I have 94k miles.

fire07quest

Yep, you never buy the 1st year anything!!

Our Nissan Xterra has 172K with nothing wrong. Our 07 Quest had rear hatch shocks and passenger side F&R hub bearing replaced.
    Other than that she is running like new with a hair over 100K

questfan07
    Participant

07 quest with about 140k miles on it – so far the major things that have happened after it hit 100k miles

shifter will not release unless spare key is inserted into shift release (500)
    both front control arms (600) (before this tires would go every 3 months)
    timing chain (1800)
    2 engine mounts (690)
    camshaft sensor oil leak (200) (tried to fix this myself but there is just no room to move in this engine bay!)

now getting a hard shift around 40 mph – thinking its the transmission slipping but dealership thinks its a bad valve – transmission cost about 1400 more than i paid on an 04 chevy suv and nissan transmissions are re certified with only a 12k mile warranty – the chevy/gmc transmission i got came with a 100k mile warranty and was brand new

will never buy nissan again

Mywifes06
    Participant

Well guys I have found this forum very informative. My wife and I love this van and has treated us well I think. We have a 2006 SE. 150,000 miles

Things that have broke:

1. DVD PLAYER – I tried to fix but I need a manual to put back together
    2. Rear Door arm that attaches to door – I did a write up on this on this Forum
    3. Alternator – fixed myself, removed radiator for removal
    4. Brakes – fixed myself, needed all new rotors and pads, regular wear and tear
    5. Oil Leak by filter – I took off the oil cooler and I was going to replace with a new O-ring that I bought from the dealership, they gave me the wrong one, so instead of going back to Nissan I bought some oil resistant gasket sealant and applied to the rubber gasket, hasn’t leaked since.

Onto Current issues:

1. Would not accelerate – camshaft sensors, I had a local repair shop do this, they also fixed a power steering leak that I could not find. It was a power steering sensor that was leaking.
    2. Motor mount and Trans mount – going to fix myself
    3. Front struts – going to fix myself
    4. Resonator before muffler – local muffler shop repaired, this was caused by us hitting something, it was bent and back pipe was cracked.
    5. Spark plugs – going to fix myself
    6. LCD instrument panel – from what I understand it is moisture that may be doing this, I am going to remove just to take a look at and possibly clean the connections.

Repair shop quoted me $500 to flush intake and change spark plugs, $800 for motor and trans mounts.

Now by all means I’m upset at what the local shop said they would change out the plugs and motor mounts for. I just can’t see myself paying someone $1300 to do the spark plugs and motor mounts. I found on e-bay all 3 motor mounts and trans mounts for around $220 and plugs are about $40 – so if I do all the work myself I will save myself $1000.

Most of these things are regular maintenance so I’m not mad.
    I know a lot of people would rather let a mechanic repair their cars, but for most of the repairs if you can turn a wrench you can most probably repair yourself.

pmesfun
    Participant

2004 Nissan Quest S, 110k Miles, bought new.

No major problems, replaced the front struts around 100k miles. The rear brakes at the same time. Front brakes were done around 50 or 60k, and need replacement soon because of cheap pads. Things it needs now is rear shocks, transmission service, a motor mount, a replacement CD player and sounds like a front passenger wheel bearing(haven’t inspected yet). Not bad in my book. Just put it on a third set of tires.

NYQuest
    Participant

Let us know about changing out the back 3 spark plugs. Is is worth doing your self.
    That is the only thing I’m afraid of. I think there are a lot of things that need to be removed in order to reach.

Thank you. Jim

twisted_fate

Radio turns on but plays no sound – sometimes…
    Passenger side door doesn’t unlock – sometimes…
    AC is gone…
    Driver side sliding door, won’t shut properly, and sometimes this triggers the interior lights to come on… – sometimes…
    Back in 2008 I got rear ended by an 18-wheeler, everything was visually repaired. The body shop nor the dealer is able to find the source of a water leak that is destroying the rear trunk area where the rear-most chair folds down into… When ever I drive in wet conditions that area becomes drenched with water… Not anyone’s fault I suppose – frustrating nonetheless…
    Back to emerging problems…
    Reverse aid sensors will not turn on, the trigger button is permanently lit…
    Engine bearings went at 65k, not sure if I got ripped off, but apparently they needed to be replaced… $3000
    Timing Chain Problem fixed at 70k… $2500

I still love this van, it just tests my patience – sometimes…

davequest
    Participant

I bought the extended warrenty when I bought a used 2005 Quest with 20,000 miles on it. Good thing, I’m up to over $10,000+ in repairs. Stuff has broken on this vehicle that never broken on any other vehicle I’ve owned. Control arm bushings, motor mounts, wheel bearings, idler arms(both sides), starter at 50,000 miles, catalytic converter/less than 50,000 miles and the list goes on and on. My first Nissan, my last Nissan ever.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.