Sputtering on acceleration

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Sputtering on acceleration

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Canada-Q2005 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

tacticaldriver
    Participant

Went to drive my van today (O6 S), and now it’s sputtering when I accelerate, and can’t get it to go above 2500 RPM’s. All the plugs where changed last year along with 3 coil packs in the rear (one went bad). Also have done a timing chain on it, 165K miles on the engine and trans.

I am thinking MAF or Fuel pump, but I am not getting any codes thrown at me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Does it throw any codes? CEL lit? Did it stall before doing that? It might be the same problem I described earlier – the camshaft position sensor. You’ll need to read the codes and go from there.

tacticaldriver
    Participant

No CEL no codes thrown. stalled completely on my today as I was turning off the highway onto a service street. When my coil pack went bad I got the misfire code instantly, and same when my intake gasket wasn’t installed correctly.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

I know that 04 had a problem with corrosion of the ECU, not sure if 06 is affected. Worth checking into that. A corroded ECU may cause stalling problems.

The ECU body on my 05 was badly corroded 3 years ago but no through holes luckily.

tacticaldriver
    Participant

think i figured it out. Broken pos batery terminal. Got a new one at the dealer, and put it on. Seems to have corrected the problem.

tacticaldriver
    Participant

So I’ve driven the van now three times since replacing the positive battery terminal, and the van seems to be running fine. I called the repair shop to take it in today, but decided it had to be an electrical issue because I wasn’t getting any codes, and yesterday I noticed a buzzing sound when listing to the radio (FM and AM). Also, acceleration seems to be back to normal, and my fuel economy is going back up.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

I am surprised that was the terminal, as how did it crank the starter then! But good to know, thanks for posting!

tacticaldriver
    Participant

Well, it ran great for two days, and then died on me while I was on the highway. Was able to get it running, but couldn’t get over 2500 rpms. Got it into a parking lot, and then it wouldn’t stay running at all. So had it towed to my mechanic, and waiting to hear back from him today. Will update you when I hear something.

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Feel your pain. I used to have a 93 Maxima that stalled on me at random and I finally fixed it when realized that when it stalled there was no fuel and also tacho died instantly. So I traced the electric diagram and found that both received power through the same green relay in the fusebox under the hood. Replaced that relay and everything was fine for years.

tacticaldriver
    Participant

Dirty throttle body was the culprit. Now it’s idling at 600 rpms like when it had 38,000 miles (I bought it used).

Canada-Q2005
    Participant

Throttle body should not get dirty. If it is, there is another engine problem that it is throwing soot and/or oil. Like clogged EGR lines, or stuck PCV valve, etc. I would check the EGR valve and just replaced the PCV valve as it’s a cheap part.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.