Tail light removal

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  rgkjones 10 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

rlssk

My wife has a 2004 Quest that has a brake light out. I took the two obvious bolts out, but cannot remove the tail light assembly. I cannot find a Chilton or Haynes manual, also cannot find removal information on the web. Can anyone here give me any help on removing the tail light assembly without breaking it? Thank you.

cirrus
    Participant

I just looked at the owners manual and it does show removal the 2 bolts to remove the rear tail. I see this is what you have done already. I have not tried removing them myself but thought I give you some suggestions. You can try grabbing the entire tail with both hands (grip onto it), and slowly wiggle it up/down and pull it outwards at the same time. Some light assemblies are fitted very snug and require some encouragement in getting them out. I wouldn’t recommend using a flat head screwdriver to pry it out as it might crack the housing.

NYQuest
    Participant

Do exactly as Cirrus mentioned. Just wiggle it out with two hands. After the first time it will come off easier the next times.

I tried putting a bright reverse light in. It turned out just to be bluer. Not what I needed. I’m still thinkink about using some flat fog lights as reverse lights.

rlssk

Thank you cirrus, I got it out before I looked back on here today. I took the two bolts out, and tried wiggling it back and forth with no luck. I then took a flathead screwdriver and wrapped it in the tail of my shirt to keep from cracking the tail light and scratching the paint. There are two clips that hold the light assembly in as well as the two bolts.

cirrus
    Participant

Good to hear you got it out. Now we all know what to look for when removing them.

jnoche22
    Participant

I’m having the same problem, I can’t take it out. I tried using a flathead screwdriver but can’t still remove it. I’m afraid to crack it. Where did you stick the flathead? By the bottom portion on the side? Thanks.

GalaxyQuest

I removed mine without prying with a screwdriver. Just remove the screws, grab the taillight assembly wherever you can and pull back. As I recall, there was some resistance from some clips.

06 Quest Base

rgkjones

I had the same problem. After talking with my dealership service department, they advised me of the clips, and to just pull on it. Well I did, and it came off, but broke 2 of the clips. Thankfully, I didnt have to replace the clips.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.