Timing Chain Rattle fix $80

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest Timing Chain Rattle fix $80

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  estrick 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mzdennis74
    Participant

I recentley bought a 2004 nissan quest,at startup I noticed a rattle sound coming from the engine. I also noticed that after a few minutes the noise stopped. I assumed it was somthing minor needed fixing so I took it to the nissan dealer. They told me it needed a timing chain, guides and tensioners an the cost would be $2300. So I got to looking online and found many people with the same issue. One person stated that they only replaced the timing chain tensioner and that solved the problem, well I can say I did the same thing and that fixed mine. I have no more rattle at starup for a $80 tensioner that was the only thing bad. The dealer is a rip off!!!.

NYQuest
    Participant

Did you do it yourself? Is $80 the price of the part or part and labor?
    Tell us more. Please.

mzdennis74
    Participant

The $80 was for the tensioner, I installed it myself. I got the instructions from autozone.com they have an online repair manual for the quest . The tensioner sits behind a small cover on the front of the engine. Hard to reach in to replace but manage to after 2 hours. I moved the power steering and antifreeze resevoirs out of the way for access . The only way i was able to install the new one was to use a c-clamp to hold the guide and chain up out of the way. The hard thing also was installing the tensioner without pulling the plunger stopper pin until it was in position.

NYQuest
    Participant

Great. Thank you for the information. I may give it a try. My chain does not rattle yet, but there is a high pitch noise when I accelerate.

dtownfb
    Participant

That high pitch noise could be something else. i have the same issue and I believe it has something to do with the fuel injectors. Mine has been doing it for 50k miles. Obviously I am not in a hurry to fix it.

NYQuest
    Participant

Thank you for the info. The noise started close to years ago and I am in no rush to fix it either. I like to pretend it it the turbo or supercharger kicking in. vrmm, vrmm.

LexxOne74
    Participant

Could you get us a part # please, it would help a bunch. Thanks!

estrick

I am very sure this is the same problem I am hearing on my Quest. Could you please provide me with more info. Do you have any detailed instructions or partnumbers for the part? I plan to jump on this over the weekend and resolve this problem before it gets worse or completely ruins my Engine. Thanks in advance for anyone that is willing to help me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.