tire pressure light coming on

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2004 – 2009 Nissan Quest tire pressure light coming on

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  NYQuest 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

heteromyid

The low pressure light on my 04 has been coming on during trips lately. When I check the display for the individual tires it gives asterisks for the same tire every time and correct readings for the others. The offending tire is properly inflated. It does eventually resume functioning. Has anyone had this problem? Low battery in the tire sensor? I am about to get new tires and would like to replace the battery at the same time if that is the problem.

Low-PSI
    Participant

As I recall when this happened to our ’04, the asterisks indicate an over inflated tire.

heteromyid

I shouldn’t have said “properly inflated”, i actually have my tires overinflated by about 3-4 lbs. After driving they heat up and expand. That could be it. I’ll have to pay attention and see it that tire is higher than the others. Thanks for the help!

dtownfb
    Participant

What pressure are your tires? The cold pressure should be 35 psi. also there is no order to how the tire pressures show up on the screen. An asterisk means that it is not reading the tire pressure. When i start off, I get a bunch of asterisk until the TPMS has been able to read the pressure. Normally only takes driving a block or so. It seems like one of your sensors may not be transmitting properly. When you have the tires changed, have the shop look at the sensors (all tire shops are trained to work with TPMS). They should be able to determine if one is not working properly.

heteromyid

I usually inflate the tires to a cold pressure of about 37-39 psi in order to prolong the time until the next inflation. After dealing with a series of leaky tires I have figured out which reading on the display corresponds to each tire. My problem occurs with the transmitter that is currently on the driver rear tire. It only occurs after driving at least 1 hour which is why I suspected a weak battery. Since my original posting I have contacted a dealership and they claim there is no battery in the transmitter. Interesting and hard for me to believe. I don’t plan to purchase tires from them because of their limited selection, so I am glad to hear that all tire shops are trained in TPMS. That was my main concern. Thanks for the help.

dtownfb
    Participant

I always thought the TPMS was wired somehow. If the low tire pressure and the asterisks are showing, you probably still have a tire that is leaking. Had a similar situation on my van last year that turned out to be a nail in the tire. It also could be a bad seal on the tire.

Next time this happens, check the tire pressure in all the tires. At least this way you can rule out leaks. BTW, there are more tire choices available for the Quest. I believe the Grand Caravan also uses the same tire size.

Good luck.

2004 Quest S

heteromyid

OK, I checked the tires today while driving on a short trip and the offending tire sensor displayed 36 psi. The rest were 36, 35, and 37 psi. This rules out the theory that that particular tire is over inflated. The light and asterisks actually displayed last Sunday after driving about an hour, but not since then when driving on short trips. Strange.

vidiot

The ’04’s had a consistent problem with the TPMS sending units… in addition to erratic operation, they often leaked, so don’t necessarily blame the tires! And it’s my understanding that the sending unit uses a sliding coil to generate its transmit current, like one of those battery-free emergency flashlights.

Unfortunately, there’s a reason why there are so few tire selections: the Quest is set up for an oddball tire size and profile. Check the posts elsewhere on this board for really helpful info on alternative brands and sizes.

Minor annoyances aside, I liked my ’04 enough to re-up for an ’07 when my (business) lease was up.

Curt73
    Participant

In order to tell which is the offending tire you must messure all 4 tires. The display does not show relative position on the car.

NYQuest
    Participant

Ours does it all the time. On long trips it usually happens after an hour. We just check to make sure it is the same tire, 2nd from left. If it is we just ignore it. The situation corrects itself the next time we start the van.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.