Tire Recommendation for 16" Wheels

New Topics Forums General Discussion Wheel and Tire Tire Recommendation for 16" Wheels

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Nathan 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

buster
    Participant

Time for some tires for my 2004 Quest. After reading some reviews of the OEM Goodyear Eagle LS2 225/65/16, I plan to swap them for something else. Of course, the only 225/65/16 available is the OEM tire. Thinking of going to a 225/60/16. Any suggestions?

mobil1
    Participant

The the overall diameter difference of a 225/60/16 tire from OEM is -3.22%, which means your odometer will be off -32 miles for every 1000 miles (if your odometer reads 1000 miles, you have actually driven 1032 miles.

I suggest going to a 235/60/16 which only has a difference of -1.5% from OEM. Its a wider, lower profile tire and there are a number of choices available… and yes it will fit on the stock Quest 16″ rim. I suggest the Kumho Ecsta ASX’s (235/60VR16) for $68 a pop on tireack.com… V-rated, ultra high performance, all season tires on a minivan! 😉

—————————–
    ’05 SE

buster
    Participant

Thanks…that’s the conclusion I had come to. Just haven’t settled on a tire yet. Was looking at Michelin Hydroedge but $123 per is a little more than I wanted to pay. Just know I’m not going back with the original LS2s.

Do you have experience with the Ecstas?

mobil1
    Participant

I had Kumho Ecsta Supras on my ’93 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo. Good grip, good wear… road noise may be a little louder because of the tread pattern they use. All in all, they they are great tires for the money…

—————————–
    ’05 SE

QuestDriver
    Keymaster

I think you got the answer you needed, but to re-iterate, going down to a 60 probably isn’t what you want to do. I looked at the Kuhmo’s before myself for another vehicle, but didn’t buy them. I instead stuck with my michelins, which were more expensive, but I knew them well.

buster
    Participant

I realized after posting the first msg that the 225/60s were too short. Van’s low enough as it is–have several scrapes on the running boards from curbs. I’ve settled on 235/60 which are much closer to the height of the OEM LS2s. I rotated the LS2s one last time and probably still have a few miles on them (especially if my wife will take it easy on them) 🙂 I’m going to shop online for tires first (tirerack.com and onlinetires.com). Never bought tires that way, but appears to be cheaper on the few I’ve priced so far.

mobil1
    Participant

I’ve ordered from tireack.com a number of times… they’ve always come back with the best price on the tires I was looking for. I’ve even sent one back for an exchange due to a manufaturer defect. No complaints with their service. Just make sure you find a place that you trust to deliver the tires to and mount and balance them without charging you an arm and a leg per tire.

Good luck.

—————————–
    ’05 SE

buster
    Participant

I ordered some Yokohama AVID V4S in a 235/60/16 for my Quest last night on tirerack.com. Checked today and the order has been shipped. Will update on how this turns out as I have not experienced buying tires online before. Tires were $85 each plus $43 shipping. Will find someone local to put them on at $10-$15 per tire.

Anything I should be aware of with the tire pressure monitoring system when having new tires put on?

buster
    Participant

Ordered the tires from tirerack.com on Thursday, received them on Monday, had them installed on Tuesday. Initial impressions of the Yokos are good. What a great way to buy tires.

QuestDriver
    Keymaster

Glad to know it worked well for you. How did the installation go with ordering online – was there a referral process? Keep us updated on their winter handling.

buster
    Participant

They have recommended installers for your area (look up by zip code, I think). They’ll ship them to the recommended installer of your choice. Recommended installers around here wanted $15-$20 per tire to install, so I opted to have them shipped to my home and had Walmart install them at $11 per tire mount, balance, and disposal included.

One note on the Yokos, however–at high speed over rough roads, they are a little rougher than I would have liked, but they handle well and I’m pleased with them overall. Of course, they’ve only been on for a few days. And my wife drives the van mostly. I’ll let you know if she’s happy with them.

And I live in the south, so they won’t be used much in snow and ice.

jkeenan
    Participant

We are looking to install winter tires to improve winter handling
    John – per our conversation today, here is a a recommended 16″ winter snow package for the Nissan Quest:

HAs anyone disabled the tire pressure monitoring systems without problems. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Sport Edition F7 wheel, 16×7″, $91 each:
    http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/DisplayWheel.jsp?wheelMake=Sport+Edition&wheelModel=F7&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted
    Bridgestone Blizzak DMZ3 size 215/70-16, $107 each:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+DM-Z3
    The package comes mounted and balanced, lugnuts and center caps included at no charge. The total package price is $871.47.
    If you want to shop for other style wheels you can see additional ones at:
    http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterWheels.jsp?display=alloy#results_top
    Please contact me when you are ready to order or if you have any questions.
    regards,
    miles

buster
    Participant

After only 13 months the Yokos I bought are wearing to the point of needing to be replaced. Only got about 30k miles on them but to be fair, they have only been rotated once in that amount of time. Neither my wife nor I drive particularly agressive. I’ll still buy tires from tirerack.com, just think I’ll try another tire.

Low-PSI
    Participant

We bought the Yoko AVID TRZ’s for our ’04 SE, and at about 10,000 miles, they still look new. At least, at $85 each, they are 1/2 the price of the Goodyear’s. I have been really impressed with the ride quality, noise and grip of the TRZ’s

buster
    Participant

One additional comment. Wet and dry weather traction for this tire was really good. Snow and ice was not. Fortunately we don’t have to deal with it much. Road noise was more than expected. Hopefully our next tire will be more quiet and last longer. Will post back when we buy a new set.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.