Tire recommendation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  wakramer 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

cleeland
    Participant

Had to replace OE tires on 2006 Quest SE at just shy of 30k miles. Never liked the OE Goodyears, but selection at Tire Rack wasn’t impressive, either.

Went to my local Independent Tire Dealer (ITD) where I’ve gotten most of my tires for the last 20 years, and he recommended the Toyo Versado LX. The tire has a 500 mile/30 day satisfaction guarantee from Toyo, so I felt safe.

Great tires. They are H-rated, which is a rarity in the size for the SE (225/60R17). Toyo rates them for up to 60k miles, though my tire guy said that we’re more likely to see btw. 30-40 based on his experiences and how much we got out of the OE tires.

Handling better than OE (including handling in inclement weather), and much quieter on the highway.

+1 for Versado LX on the Quest SE.

happy_es300

i just got a set of new tires as well for my 04 i ended up going with 225/60/17 Pirelli P6 Four Seasons, so far they’ve been amazing in the crazy weather we’ve had this past week and a half (heavy snow, sunny days, thunder storms, and 100 km winds tonight) but they ride much better than the goodyears i had on there before and are alot quieter defiantly worth the money

2004 Nissan Quest SE /all the toys/ -Silver Mist Metallic on Rouge Leather- //LOVE IT//
    2000 Lexus ES300

f22boy

My wife’s Goodyear LS2s were great tires, however, at 25K miles they were completely worn (rotated every 5K). I went with Consumer Reports recommendation of the Yokohama Avid TRZs as replacements. My wife has put on another 25K miles and they are barely worn (80K mile warranty). The handling is good, road noise is low and they wear like iron.

CanadianQ2005
    Participant

When you change old tires the excitement is what you feel about the new ones. In reality, the only reliable way of telling which tires grip to the road and which do not is to look at the traction rating. This is how I am buying my tires. I always try to get the highest – AA rated. For example, my last two cars wore Kumho Solus KH-16 imported from the US. The ticket was $375 and they worked exceptionally fine in South Ontario all year round. For the Quest I bought Conti Pro Contacts – the only AA rated tire that Tire Rack had. Still waiting to wear the remaining tread on the OEMs.

Three things are killing North Americans: MSG, sugar substitutes and fluorided water. Google for more info!

wakramer

The traction rating on a tire rates the tire’s traction during wet straight-line braking with the brakes locked. I agree that wet braking performance is important, but the rating doesn’t necessarily tell you anything about cornering, hydroplaning, dry-braking or snow performance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.