Vehicle shut off on highway

New Topics Forums General Discussion 2011 Nissan Quest Vehicle shut off on highway

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  wolfy 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

cbeers77
    Participant

I have a 2011 Nissan Quest with about 4000 miles on it. I was on the highway today and running low on fuel (the hazard LED came on and the dot matrix display indicated I had about 58 miles left), so I kept going, but about 10 minutes later, I checked and the range indicator had just dashes (—— blinking), so I decided to keep my eyes peeled for the next exit to get gas. Suddenly not a minute later I heard a click and the vehicle started slowing down. I couldn’t accelerate at all so I put on my four-way flashers and tried to make my way to the side of the road. As I was slowing down, I could hear the vehicle constantly trying to restart the engine. When I finally rolled to a stop in the breakdown lane, I pushed the Start button thinking I would shut off the car entirely, then try pushing the start again to turn it back on, but when I hit the button (the brake pedal was already depressed), the car started up and kept running. I thought it just ran compeletly out of gas but maybe not. Looking puzzled, I was lucky to have pulled over with the off ramp right in front of me. I stopped at the gas station at the end of the ramp and fueled up. My question is…did I run out of gas but if so why did the engine start when the car was pulled over and stopped? Also, I put 17 gallons into the tank but the tank holds 20, so was I really out of gas? No check engine or any other diagnostic light came on so this is my only conclusion. After filling up we got home just fine with no incident. Does anyone have a theory on what might have happened? This scared the hell out of me because I almost didn’t get my car over to the side of the road and I had my pregnant wife and child with me. The middle of the highway is definitely not the place to be when a vehicle dies. Has anyone else had a any problem like this.

Fooknquest

YES, YES, YES!!! You are not alone and we need to KICK NISSAN’S ASS ON THIS!!! My 2011 Quest has ran out of fuel 5 times now between the ranges of 81 (yes 81 miles) and 48 miles DTE. The most annoying thing about my 2011 Quest is that it will not start when parked on a hill downward facing if I have less than 1/4 tank of gas in it. Supposed to be like a 20 gallon tank but will run out with 2 gallons still in the tank. WTF??? I believe the fuel pickup is in the back of the tank and not submersed all the way down to reach the last few gallons. The system is totally flawed and unreliable. I will be fighting Nissan on this if I ever get a day to bring it in 30 miles away. Better have 120 miles worth of gas left to make it. I am SO MAD about this!

cbeers77
    Participant

Glad to know I am not alone. I also found many postings from other people about this problem on the Edmunds.com forums (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f20f92b). I reported this issue to the NHTSA and Nissan Corporate (per the instruction manual on Reporting a Safety Defect section). Upon talking to my dealer and referencing a service bulletin from a post on the Edmunds forum above:
    CLASSIFICATION: FE11-001
    REFERENCE: NTB11-068
    DATE: JULY 14,2011

The dealer looked into it and told me that while the bulletin doesn’t indicate my exact problem above (it mostly indicates parking nose down with lower levels of gas in the tank), he thought it would directly affect me so he ordered the parts and will be performing the maintenance when they come in. He said based on the bulletin parts list, it basically replaces the fuel tank with a new one that he said looks to be redesigned with extra hoses going into the front of the tank and shims to put on the tank itself. He said the current tank does pull gas from the back. This seems to make sense considering in my case my wife indicated she thought we were coming down a mild incline on the highway nose first when the engine died. I didn’t agree. I thought it was pretty flat. Well, at least it sounds like they have a fix but the big question to me is: How the hell did this get past testing? Really Nissan? You decided to cut corners on a gas tank? Anyway, as much as I want to love this vehicle, the front sunroof rattles when open and you hit any bumps, there is a rattle coming from the rear entertainment screen when closed and the cabin temperature is within just the right temperature variant (not too hot or cold) which drives us nuts and the day after the engine stall highway incident my wife said none of the buttons on the steering wheel or radio controls responded (I personally have not witnessed this yet and she said it hasn’t happened again). We have already had a weld come loose on the rear hatch latch which caused a major rattle which the dealer fixed and a few days back trying to enter an address into the nav system (try entering 12B Mica Ln, Wellesley, MA) and you will get the address repeated about 6 times in a row and you won’t be able to move forward when you select any of them. I have found out this bug in the nav system will be corrected with a firmware update from Nissan after Decenber 2011. So, overall I do still like the van, and I will love it once all these problems are fixed, but this is just aggravating spending time and money going back and forth to the dealer because of sloppy initial quality issues. However my suggestion to ANYONE who owns a 2011 Quest is to call their dealer and reference the service bulletin above and get that fuel tank replaced ASAP before you find yourself screwed in a very bad place on the road. Hope this helps.

cbeers77
    Participant

The NHTSA contacted me yesterday and wanted more details about this issue (basically the information I indicated in previous posts). They are looking into this because they feel it is a safety issue and I fully agree. They are aware of the technical service bulletin surrounding this issue but feel the bulletin downplays this and thus they may contact Nissan about this. I would encourage other people to contact the NHTSA and file a complaint if the situation that happened to me happens to anyone else. The number to call is in the Reporting a Safety Issue section in the Quest user manual.

drhorning
    Participant

Our van also stalled out while driving down our hill. We took our van in just before Thanksgiving and didn’t get it back for about 4 weeks(just before christmas while the dealership waited for parts. They changed the fuel tank too. Even after that my wife had 1/4 tank of gas on the 30th of Dec. it stalled on her again. It is back in the shop again I’m not going to risk my childrens lives driving in this van. Dont get me wrong I love every thing else about this van our last was and 08 quest. If this is not fixed I will be claiming Lemon law. even though it sounds more wide spread.

Fooknquest

Finally got around to bringing the van to Nissan and explained everything. They knew exactly what I was talking about and have ordered parts for me. The work will be done in about a week and I even get a loaner (that should be a given). I also have them looking into the tire pressue sensor issues, and loud blower motor noises. Hopefully no more problems after this.

KKH
    Participant

EXPERIENCED THE SAME FUEL SYSTEM ISSUE ON 2012 NISSAN QUEST

VEHICLE STALLED WHILE TRAVELING UP A 2-3% GRADE. IT APPEARED TO RUN OUT OF FUEL ALTHOUGH THE NAVIGATION DISPLAY INDICATED THERE WERE 21 MILES UNTIL EMPTY. THE FUEL GAUGE ALSO INDICATED FUEL REMAINED. THE VEHICLE WAS TRAVELING ABOUT 45 MPH AND FORTUNATELY IT COASTED TO THE TOP OF THE GRADE. AT THAT POINT, THE ENGINE BEGAN RECEIVING FUEL ONCE AGAIN AND KICKED IN. THIS APPEARS TO BE SIMILAR TO PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED ON THE 2011 MODEL YEAR. THE VEHICLE WAS TRAVELING ON A TWO LANE NARROW ROAD AROUND A BLIND CURVE WITH NO PLACE TO PULL OFF. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION HAD THE VEHICLE’S MOMENTUM NOT CARRIED IT TO THE TOP OF THE GRADE. CONTACTED THE NISSAN DEALERSHIP WHERE PURCHASED ON 02/06/2012 AND THE GM STATED THAT IT WAS THE SECOND CALL ABOUT A 2012 QUEST FUEL ISSUE HE HAS RECEIVED. THE OTHER INVOLVED A VEHICLE PARKED ON AN INCLINE THAT WOULD NOT START AND APPEARED TO NOT BE GETTING FUEL ALTHOUGH THE NAVIGATION AND GAUGE INDICATED THERE WAS FUEL IN THE TANK. WHEN ADDITIONAL FUEL WAS ADDED THAT VEHICLE STARTED. ALSO CONTACTED NISSAN CONSUMER AFFAIRS ON 02/06/12 AND FILED A COMPLAINT PROVIDING THEM WITH DETAILS OF THE SITUATION. I ALSO FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE NHTSA ON 02/16/12. THUS FAR NISSAN IS ACTING AS IF THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS ISSUE.

2011questowner
    Participant

Your problem lays with the gas tank, if you were going on an incline or decline. It seems nissan didn’t engineer the fuel intake very well or got bad parts from a supplier.

You can get your gas tank replaced with one that will work better on inclines or declines. The service manager told me that the tech bulletin solution was to keep my gas tank at least half full.

You may have a hard time getting your service provider to replace the tank if your vin is not on the recall list; just ask for the service manager and I’m sure it will go easier.

pittfan94
    Participant

I had my Quest in Dec 2011 after 2 incidents of stalling while in a downward position, off ramp and angled down driveway causing not to start. My gas tank indicated all signs of a 17 gallon tank as opposed to the 20 gal tank the manual says it has. Nissan replaced the entire fuel system and had my car for over 2 weeks due to parts on backorder. This didn’t fix the problem. After taking it in to Nissan again for stalling, I indicated that it was stalling with 78 miles to empty. If you do the math and divide by MPG it still amounts to a 17 gal tank. Nissan does not have a fix for this at the moment and recommended that I maintain at least 1/4 to 1/2 tank of gas until they are able to resolve the problem. I cannot risk the safety of my two children and have now reported it to Lemon Law attorneys. I would encourage all of you to do the same until Nissan takes action on this very serious matter!!

zzbaron

Looks the fuel issue was a software problem. Recall is now in effect. I’ve pasted the recal from the NHTSA below.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): NISSAN / QUEST 2011-2012

Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr’s Report Date: FEB 28, 2012

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number:12V076000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number:N/A Component:ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE

Potential Number of Units Affected:23,531

Summary:
    NISSAN IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011-2012 NISSAN QUEST VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM JULY 29, 2010, THROUGH FEBRUARY 21, 2012. DUE TO SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING, WHILE DRIVING AT SLOW SPEEDS OR IDLING ON A DECLINE WITH ¼ TANK FUEL OR LESS, THERE MAY BE AN INSUFFICIENT SUPPLY OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE. AS A RESULT, THE ENGINE MAY STALL.

Consequence:
    VEHICLE STALLING COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
    NISSAN WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPROGRAM THE FUEL PUMP CONTROL MODULE, FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MID MARCH 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 1-800-647-7261.

Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

cbeers77
    Participant

Last night my wife went to a friends house and parked on an incline with the nose down with low fuel but the gas light hadn’t come on yet and had to roll the car in neutral to the bottom before it would start. I already had the technical service bulletin performed (or so the dealer says) on the vehicle so obviously that didn’t work at all. Let’s hope this software update from the recall resolves this issue.

cbeers77
    Participant

Ok, so it has been about one month since we had the recall (reprogramming). The dealer told me that this should finally fix the problem. He said that when the fuel level got too low, the computer cut power to the fuel pump so as to keep it from burning out, but Nissan ran tests and found the pump wouldn’t burn out even if left running so the reprogramming is supposed to keep the pump running even if the tank goes to empty. So far we have had two cases where the fuel light came on and I drove it down a steep hill and the vehicle stayed running. So far so good.

surlymac

Sorry to go off topic, but can you tell me more about your loud blower motor noises?

It seems like the front heat/AC blower is unusually loud in our new-to-us 2011. A low rumble starts around the lower-middle fan speeds and increases in volume and pitch as we increase it to full fan speed.

I understand air moving quickly through vents makes noise, but what I am observing is uncomfortable low frequency vibration.

Anyone else experience this?

wildwilly
    Participant

wow…..just read through this thread. That is plain crazy. I hope they fixed this issue on my 2012:(

wolfy
    Participant

I have the 2012 as well. And haven’t had this issue. I actually drove it down once to right at empty, with an extra gallon of gas in the back just in case. Didn’t have any issues. So I think they do have it fixed. I believe they have a fix for the 2011’s that had this issue!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.