Very hard starts all of a sudden

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1993 – 1998 Nissan Quest Very hard starts all of a sudden

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ricebike 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

bmartin
    Participant

The Quest in question is a 1997 V6.

After several years in cold New York weather, my brother-in-law moved to Virginia. Starting this winter, his Quest has consistently required 3 cranks to get started (about 1 second apiece, about 1 second apart) and was sluggish. I suspected a fuel problem, but figured that before I got invested in trying to track down something difficult, I’d try replacing some electrical components. It has new plugs, wires, distributor cap, air filter, and rotor. I also gave it a Sea Foam treatment (through a vacuum line, directly on top of the pistons) and some fuel injector cleaner.

His Quest runs much better now: there’s more power everywhere in the RPM range. However, as far as starting the engine goes, success has been limited. For a short time, it started on the first crank. After about a week, it’s back to two cranks. Sorry to poison the well… I can’t help but think that there’s a sensor somewhere that controls the amount of gas provided to a cold engine and that’s the source of my grief.

ricebike
    Participant

u checked the basics?

good/ new battery?

battery cables?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.