Vibration

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blade007 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

blade007
    Participant

Hi all, and Happy New Year to all of you. I have a 2004 nissan quest and I am getting a vibration throughout the van. It is felt on the gas pedal, the floor and a lot of the plastics rattle at various speeds. The car is also making a loud noise like the wheel is wobbling. There is no shake on the steering wheel at all. I have searched the forum and some users have reported that a loose heat shiled may be the cultprit. Unfortunately a lot of the people posting with this problems did not post the fix. I am taking the car to the dealer this Tuesday to see if they can find out what it is. If anyone has any ideas please let me know as I don’t want to pay the dealer to change out parts that is not necessary.

Thanks.

samplejt

the dealer took care of this on mine, there is a heatshield near the back of the engine that got pushed up into the engine compartment, not sure what it was pushing against but caused the symptoms u were describing. rough description of location is under the pedals in the undercarriage

blade007
    Participant

Thanks, I will print this out and take it to the dealer. I’ll post back with the results.

pastorbrad
    Participant

I had the same problem… a bent heat shield from hitting somthing on the road. Its really not that hard to bend it back. Good luck.

blade007
    Participant

Qucik question, does this account for the wobbling noise i hear from the car. It’s pretty loud.

Thanks.

blade007
    Participant

Heading out to pick up the car at 6pm today.I had been noticing that the car would ride rough when the right front wheel would go over any rough patch and was thinking it was the lower control arm bushing. I was told that the wheel hub bearing was bad and needed replacing. There was a broken bracket that also needed replacing and a seal on the left front wheel. It was a $720 damage. I was also told that the timing chain was making noise. That is a $1200 repair which I declined at this time. Have anyone had any issues with the timing chain making noise. I’ll see how bad when I get it back.

blade007
    Participant

Turns out that in my case the heat shield was not bent at all. It was the right front outer hub bearing assembly. Once this was changed the car is silent, no vibration and it rides better than before. I was going to change the lower control arm to address the bumpy ride on the right side but now I am glad I didn’t. There was a axel seal that was leaking and a cat converter bracket that was broken.

I am still not sold on the timing chain noise. I was told that there are plastic tensioners that the timing chain cut into that causes the noise. In my case I only noticed the rattle after I had a mechanic change the other belts in the car. It rattles for a few seconds or more sometimes and then stops. I’ll monitor it and see if it continues.

This was my fix in this instance and I hope it helps others.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.