Villager shakes at 60 mph when on gas, no shake when coasting

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest Villager shakes at 60 mph when on gas, no shake when coasting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  dtownfb 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

zensea

I have a 1999 Villager sport with about 150K miles on it. Recently I notice the van shakes severely when the speed is at about 60 mph; the van has almost no shaking at lower than 60 or higher than 60 mph. If I step on gas, the van shakes, if I let my foot off the gas pedal, no shaking immediately. I had one mechanic drove my van and felt the symptom. He concluded that it is left or right (or both) cv driveshaft. However I had both sides cv changed about one year ago or so. Then I had my Van checked at Firestone especially on drive shafts. They told me that drive shafts and suspension parts are fine. I did not know if they checked tie rod ends or not. Firestone concluded that the tires are out of balance. But the van does not shake at 60 mph if it is coasting. My front tires were recently purchased and balanced at Walmart within one month. Before I purchased these two tires, the front tires (both sides) were worn unevenly on sides (both in and out), but not on the center region. Both front tires have similar patterns (worn on sides, not center).

prgonzalez
    Participant

With that high mileage, I would recommend replacing inner and outter tie rods, ball joints, steering rack support bushings, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, and control arms. Also, inspect and replace if necessary the engine mounts. My 99 Quest is 186K and its running like new after replacing the front end as I described.

Pedro

dtownfb
    Participant

Since the cv shaft was replaced a year ago, I would check the balance in the tires. It should be free.

How is the wear and tread on the rear tires? What pressure do you keep your tires? Why didn’t they put the new tires on the back? The general practice is to put the best tires on the rear if you are only changing two tires.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.