water pump replacement?

New Topics Forums General Discussion 1999 – 2002 Nissan Quest water pump replacement?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blockmachining 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jonb
    Participant

I have a 2000 Quest, it has been making a bearing type noise from the water pump area. not leaking, just rattling type noise. It sounds like a water pump going bad. From what I can find this is a pretty hard procedure? Is this doable for the average guy? I have changed rwd vehicles pump before but not a fwd, it does seem to be a tight place to work. Any advice.

prgonzalez
    Participant

It is not a difficult job to do. Have you replace the timing belt yet? If not, it would be a good time to do both. You will have good access and clearance after removing the timing belt cover and timing belt as described in the service manual. It is a full day work , about 8 hours, doing it slowly and with care.

blockmachining
    Participant

It may also be the timing belt tensioner bearings failing. If you go into it, definitely go ahead and change your timing belt, water pump and tensioner. You will be right there and trust me, you don’t want to have to do this twice. By the way…..do not overtighten your belts. This particular engine had an issue with the crankshaft end breaking off when the belt tension was too tight.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.