Winter rims and air pressure monitoring systems

New Topics Forums General Discussion Wheel and Tire Winter rims and air pressure monitoring systems

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  barrell 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Dave7
    Participant

So my Quest needs a set of winter rims – I’ve got the tires ready to go. Looks like a Acura RSX 16″ steel wheel will fit – I can pickup a set for $100 BUT its got a tire pressure monitoring system – do I need a whole new set of sensors put in the winter rims or can I run without it in the winter? Thoughts?

I remember when we got new tires changed last time the tire shop broke a sensor and it wasn’t cheap to replace. 4x would really drive up the cost of winter tires.

barrell
    Participant

I just ordered a set of 17″ Tires and wheels from tirerack.com I am removing a set of steel 16″ rims. I opted to get the tires, rims and sensors in a single package due to not having to hassle with them. I can just put them on and be done with it.

I am debating now on storing the OEM rims just in case I ever need them or taking them apart and selling the sensors and hubcaps. There seems to be a demand for them on ebay.

I just wish a full size spare would fit in the tire location so I can retire the little spare tire.

I was considering ignoring the nag and not going with the sensors, but I managed to get a nice hole in a tire on a road trip and thanks to the sensors I was able to limp home by stopping and getting air twice when I needed it without worrying about safety or causing a low pressure blowout. After that incident it was easy for me to justify the replacement sensors. To each his own but I’ll stick with TPMS now, thanks.

————————————————————–
    Some cars are fast, some cars are fun…. …my Miata is not fast.

barrell
    Participant

Ok, I’ll start off by saying “What an adventure !!!”

The tires and wheels came in and I am very pleased with the outcome. With that being said, What a frusterating ordeal it was.

I had the rims installed on the van this morning and paid to have the new sensors syncronized with the TPMS. But on the way to the office the indicator did not reset. I went back by the tire place and they attempted to activate the sensors again, but to no avail. They then gave me the whole spill on not running the sensors, but I decided to keep them anyhow. I can’t see not having them after the issues I had on the road before. I then asked about moving the sensors from the old wheels to the new ones and was informed that they might break them and they don’t cover the replacement cost should they kill one. I’m thinking to myself at this point, welcome to the 21st century.

I called Nissan, and to the tune of $128.00 they said they would be “happy” to active the sensors for me. I about flipped out!!! I was thinking to myslef at this point, for a 15 minute task they would charge $130 ish $$$$ for it. I called in a favor from a friend of mine and he pulled some strings, I got a call from them a few minutes later telling me to come by the service center. Needless to say the tire pressure sensors are working now. 🙂

My advice is to forgo the TPMS in the winter or the summer, only run them in one set, but not the others. I think the cost is a bit high to activate them on a regular basis. After a lot of digging I found there are two ways to get them activated right now, one: Go to the dealer and let (pay) them do it. two: Buy a $3,900.00 Nissan compatable programming computer and do it yourself.

————————————————————–
    Some cars are fast, some cars are fun…. …my Miata is not fast.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.