Winter Tire Recommendations

New Topics Forums General Discussion Wheel and Tire Winter Tire Recommendations

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ontknow 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

flexbert

Hi all. I am new to the Quest (’06 SE, picked it up last week).

The stock tires (Goodyear Eagle LS2, 225 60 R17) seem to have a pretty poor rap and I would like to get a set of winter tires and rims for my QUEST (I am in Nova Scotia, Canada). My preference is to go down a size in rims and to a narrower profile tire. After some internet searching, it seems that a 215 70 R16 is the closest to maintaining overall tire diameter.

I’ll admit that I am just starting to search, so I haven’t done the rounds to see what is available locally, nor have checked with the dealer to see what they offer/recommend. Any suggestions ?

How does the TPM work in the Quest and can I make it work with a set of steel rims ? A look at tirerack.com indicates “Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.” tirerack.com also indicates that “NOTE: The original sensors from your original wheels can be used or you may purchase new sensors. At this time, The Tire Rack does not have sensors available for your vehicle.”

flexbert

After some research, both online and locally, I decided to go with a set of Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires, size 215 70 R16, with a set of steel rims. I purchased them at Costco, mounted and balanced and they are now ready to be installed on the van once the colder weather hits.

I decided to do without the TPMS sensors in the winter wheels. Does the TPM warning light come on when there are no sensors ? I have seen a few posts to this effect and asking how to disable the warning light, but no replies. Can the warning light be disabled when there are no sensors ? Any advice or ideas on this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

–flexbert

flexbert

I finally put the winter rims and tires on this weekend and offer the following 2 observations:

1. The Michelin Latitude X-Ice tires in a 215 70 R16 seem to be a good match on the Quest. The ride is smooth, although there is a little more tire noise, as would be expected in a winter tire.

2. The TPMS does not give any reading (as expected) but the system also does not give a Flat Tire warning as I thought it would.

–flexbert

flexbert

Well, disregard my comment about the TPMS not displaying the warning light – after driving about 300 km, the light flashed for about a minute and then stays on. Now when I start the car, the TPMS warning light flashes for about a minute and then stays on steady. Not ideal, but ….

–flexbert

davidtylerwatts
    Participant

Hi, I operate a Goodyear store in Oklahoma. Almost all of the time, as long as the wheels have close to the same wheel lip. Generally when the light flashes and then becomes steady, that means there is no communication with the sensors. What I whould recommend is taking it to your local tire store to get the sensors reactivated, with the TMPS becoming common place most shop can handle this without the need to visit your dealer. Good Luck!

ontknow
    Participant

TPMS is a saftey feature mandated by the gov. Many manufacturers have gotten on board early. Circumventing the warning system would be illeagal for anyone but the vehicles owner. The sensor have only to be registered and see adequate pressure to turn off the light.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.